Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Laundromat Cafe

Perhaps many things can be paired successfully with a cafe -- gift shop, art gallery, hotel, museum -- but today I found my first cafe laundromat.  It's ingenious really.  You can sip a cappuccino or enjoy a cold beer, have some lunch (I recommend the laundromat special), chat with friends, surf the net or (in my case) update your blog in a comfy cafe. All the while your laundry is whirling away in the back room.

This morning when I set off with a backpack full of dirty clothes, Karl was feeling bad that I was the one to have to do the laundry. I insisted (and this is true) that it wasn't a problem at all since I had to review a paper and I could do that anywhere -- my office or a laundromat. I should note that there is a severe lack of self-service laundry facilities in Oslo. The nearest one involved a 10 minute bus ride followed by a 10 minute walk. But when I arrived at the supposed location of a laundromat, there was instead an antique store!  Drats! The barrista at the neighboring coffee shop directed me to the laundromat cafe about 5 minutes walk away.

Laundry heaven!  I am sure Karl and I will be vying for laundry duty now. I sit here on a soft leather sofa, sipping my cappuccino, with the sound of the spin cycle in the background. Ahh, another reason to love Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment