Friday, October 22, 2010

Gratulerer med dagen!

That's Norwegian for 'Happy Birthday.' It was a fine birthday, too. My heart was warmed by the many well wishes from friends (thanks to Facebook) and cards from family.

On Tuesday (the day before my birthday), Hanne treated Karl and I to an afternoon at the theater -- Next to Normal, the recent Broadway sensation, in Nynorsk (the older Norwegian language). We didn't understand much, but enjoyed it nonetheless. We then went to Hanne and Leif's house for an early dinner with some of their friends. It was delicious! Typical Norwegian fare of trout, potatoes, cucumber salad, and the most spectacular birthday cake you could imagine. Sadly we forgot our camera. So instead you'll have to imagine the white layered cake with wild berries, peaches, bits of chocolate with a whipped cream frosting.  Hanne and Leif also gave me a classic piece of Norwegian literature: Kristen Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset who won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Fortunately they picked up the English translation.

On my actual birthday, Karl surprised me with a new fluffy down comforter, which was perfect timing as it was -6 Celsius that night. He also made me a scrumptious dinner of leg of lamb with roasted root vegetables and flourless chocolate molten cake for dessert. Lucky me!!

It was a truly enjoyable birthday.

My Birthday Spread: Leg of Lamb and Roasted Root Vegetables
Making my wish
(notice I'm holding the candles which started to melt inside the chocolate molten cake)
I blew the candles out so I'm pretty sure my wish will come true.

1 comment:

  1. Gratulerer Rachel, ha en fin dag! Ok that should be in past tense, but we've not done that yet!

    ReplyDelete